Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mama,just killed a man,
Put a gun against his head,
Pulled my trigger,now he's dead,
Mama,life had just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away-
Mama ooo,
Didn't mean to make you cry-
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow-
Carry on,carry on,as if nothing really matters-

Too late,my time has come,
Sends shivers down my spine-
Body's aching all the time,
Goodbye everybody-I've got to go-
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth-
Mama ooo- (any way the wind blows)
I don't want to die,
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all-


Extracted from Bohemian Rhapsody, written by Freddie Mercury when he found out he had AIDS.

I think yun is right, i got a fetish or somesort for dead men. First was hide and now Freddie Mercury. But these are the two musicians who really touch my heart.

hide's upbeat tunes and quirky song lyrics excite me and yet at the same time, sets me thinking. His lyrics were never on romancing love but instead on life, freedom and society.

"You're beauty queen of love, I'm stupid slave of love, I kiss you on your knees, Let me do what you want, Let me be your toy" Beauty&Stupid on stupid guys who go for looks.

"Let's water your dried flowers in you. If that soul doesn't die, it'll either bloom distortedly or end in misery. A dice of one out of the two." Dice on life's gambles.

"No matter how many years you wait, Nothings gonna fall from the sky, Carrying your heart's missiles Let's go!" Rocket Dive on going for your dreams.

And many more. For me, the masterpiece would still be Pink Spider. Not only is the melody of the song awesome, the whole lyrics paint a picture of struggle for freedom. How a spider is trapped and its taught to steal a butterfly's wing to fly up to the sky. hide's lyrics were always deep and intriguing (I've pasted this before but i'm pasting it again for convenience sake)

You wrap yourself in needles and threads of lies
A small world You thought it was everything
You hurt anything that comes near
You thought the sky was a square

"this is it... this's all there is, isn't it?", You said

That's a lie too

Wildly decorated your patterns look lonely
The paradise bird unusually came over to talk

"Steal that butterfly's wings and come over here"
"Everything's to your desire on the other side"

PINK SPIDER "I wanna go there"
PINK SPIDER "I wish I had wings..."

Ignoring the captured butterfly's desperate plea
You glare at the sky
"I didn't hurt because I hated,
I didn't have wings
And the sky was too high"

"You should use my wings, SPIDER
You don't know the pain of endless flight
And maybe you'll realize one day,
That you were only flying in the palms of someone else
And even dared to call that freedom."

Couldn't fly with borrowed wings
You fall straight down head first

PINK SPIDER "It's no good"
PINK SPIDER "But I can see the sky..."
PINK SPIDER "It's a failure"
PINK SPIDER "I wish I had wings..."

Beyond that barely visible sky
Birds heading south
"Let's fly once again Cutting down these threads
This time with one's own JET
When that cloud passes..."

PINK SPIDER The sky is calling
PINK SPIDER PINK SPIDER

A pink spider flows across the sky....


PINK = A color of illusion.
SPIDER = A person who is looking up to the sky from a narrow opening of his web that is covering his sight. He is convinced that the small part he can see is the whole world.
CLOUD = It is a mere servant of the sky, though it is pretending a symbol of the freedom.


As for Freddie Mercury.. he wrote all my favourite songs of Queen. His songs changes my mood very so often. From being depressed with Bohemian Rhapsody to being all energetic with Don't Stop Me Now. Bohemian Rhapsody, like i've said earlier, was kinda like his dying song. So it really scratches deep when i thought of how ambitious he was when he wrote Don't Stop Me Now and got it all dashed after getting aids.

For me, the best songs are those that were wholesomely written by the artists themselves. I.e the artist will write, compose and sing the song. This way, the song would have its unique touch. For hide and Freddie, the songs are filled with small but significant details, the way they distort their voice at certain note and word. In addition, they sang it with so much more passion because they wrote the songs on their mood and experiences. Its certainly very different from popular vocalists singing well written songs.


Its a waste few such musicians exist anymore. And you know what?
I think i might just stereotype good musicians by their tragic premature deaths from now on.

Meishan Loved @ 1/23/2007 08:27:00 PM | comment