
Monday, January 29, 2007
where is the love in a couple?
Is modern love just about
being there for that someone?
telling them things they wanna hear?
making you feel like nth else matters?
making you feel like the silliest person?
making you feel like you already have the world?
how long can all these feelings last? when we're married with kids and having the chore to balance work and family, do we actually have the time to listen to every complain of our spouse, telling them every time when they feel lonely that we love them and being there for them at their whim? 10 years down the road, do all these fascinating feelings love brings at the beginning still remain fresh and captivating?
I've seen old, as in george bush's father old, couples walking hand in hand going for breakfast or taking a walk in MacRitchie reservoir smiling at each other with much affection in their eyes. I've a teacher whose father had cancer at a young age which left him disabled and dumb, but his mother cared for him everyday without complain. Now, what are the odds of you and your life partner being like that? Compared to these more-genuine-love, a lot couples around me are, in a way or more, superficial.
Is pleasing a person with expensive gifts everytime he/she is angry, love?
Is treating your partner as your best friend, love?
Is feeling the necessity to spend every min of your life with him/her, love?
Is giving up school to spend time with your partner, love?
Is being together with someone because you're lonely and forcing yourself to believe you love him, love?
Is just being comfortable with him/her, love?
Is just because there is chemistry, love?
I don't know either; love is too big a word
For me, I would like to have love, in any of its many different forms, to give me strength when i'm down, to make me feel life is worth living afterall, to occupy that void in my heart and last but not least, to escalate me to eden once in a while. I'm selfish i know.
I guess afterall, once we're in a r/s.. we wouldn't think if we're really in love until we have to sacrifice something or make a commitment. As long as our partner is able to make us feel like we're at the top of the world, we wouldn't question the 'love' between us simply because there is no reason to. I.e which idiot would complain if he/she is given a billion dollar? you get my point.